LOCAL DEVELOPMENT IN SICILY
Sicily has long been the setting of organised criminal activity and even today, socioeconomic factors and weak policies leave public funds susceptible to graft. But that's starting to change. In recent years, more than two dozen municipalities in the Madonie area have joined forces to enact stronger procurement safeguards.
21 municipalities joined a Union called “Unione Comuni Madonie” to share resources and public services. The Union is the contracting authority of a €39 million development project called “Madonie Resilienti: Laboratorio di Futuro” (Resilient Madonie: laboratory of the future), which is part of the National Strategy for Inner Areas (SNAI). With about one-quarter of the Italian population living in remote areas far from vital services, SNAI aims to develop education, health, and transport infrastructure in the countryside. Amapola is working with local authorities to implement an Integrity Pact and monitor public procurement procedures in two crucial development areas: energy efficiency and education.
Amapola is also carrying out awareness-raising activities targeting the local youth. Through a work-related learning project, students are involved in the monitoring of procurement processes and are provided with tools to become active citizens.
Civil monitor Amapola's investigation and legal support excluded a bidder whose director was convicted of environmental crimes and faced a corruption investigation.
Externally hosted content may include ads. These aren't endorsed by or reflect Transparency International's views.
In this section
- BG | Construction of the Zheleznitsa tunnel
- CZ | Technical assistance for the development of MS2014+, a monitoring system for the administration of EU funds
- GR | Construction of a flood protection pipeline
- HU | M6 highway
- HU | Tisza-Túr flood reservoir
- IT | Restoration of the archaeological site of Sybaris
- IT | Cagliari city rail
- IT | Technical assistance to the Lombardy region
- IT | Local development in Sicily
- LV | Development of the Riga tram infrastructure
- LT | Reconstruction of the Neris riverside
- PL | Railway modernisation
- PT | Renovation of the Alcobaça monastery
- RO | Digital library of Romania
- RO | National education platform
- RO | Land registration platform
- RO | Administration of EU funds
- SI | Energy renovation of hospitals