RESTORATION OF THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF SYBARIS
Famed since antiquity for its great wealth and luxury, Sybaris had become a lost city, buried without a trace somewhere in the silt of the Crati delta alluvial plain in the toe of Italy. It wasn’t until the mid-20th century that archaeologists were able to rediscover the ruins of the 2,800-year-old Greek city. It is one of the most important archaeological sites in southern Italy.
Now the Ministry of Cultural Heritage is undertaking two major science and tourism projects to preserve and rejuvenate Sybaris. Worth a combined €2 million, the first project involves the modernisation of Sybaris’s Museum; the second project will allow visitors access to a Roman-era religious temple known as the “White House”, which was discovered by archaeologists during recent excavations.
ActionAid Italy is monitoring both contracts using an Integrity Pact, initially in partnership with two independent civil society organisations - Monithon and Gruppo Abele. ActionAid Italy is working to make sure that important ancient history is persevered and that local communities can benefit economically and socially from their heritage. Citizens are actively involved in the oversight process through Civic Monitoring Schools. See this blog post to know more about ActionAid’s work on citizen engagement.
Civic monitor Action Aid Italy encouraged a revision of the contracting strategy which made it more appropriate for the required services, promoting better value for money and fostering project timeliness.
Externally hosted content may include ads. These aren't endorsed by or reflect Transparency International's views.
In this section
- BG | Construction of the Zheleznitsa tunnel
- CZ | Technical assistance for the development of MS2014+, a monitoring system for the administration of EU funds
- GR | Construction of a flood protection pipeline
- HU | M6 highway
- HU | Tisza-Túr flood reservoir
- IT | Restoration of the archaeological site of Sybaris
- IT | Cagliari city rail
- IT | Technical assistance to the Lombardy region
- IT | Local development in Sicily
- LV | Development of the Riga tram infrastructure
- LT | Reconstruction of the Neris riverside
- PL | Railway modernisation
- PT | Renovation of the Alcobaça monastery
- RO | Digital library of Romania
- RO | National education platform
- RO | Land registration platform
- RO | Administration of EU funds
- SI | Energy renovation of hospitals