Transparency International (TI) and Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS) today opened a call for submissions to the 2009-2010 Latin American Award for Investigative Journalism. For the first time this year, in addition to accepting entries that focus on corruption, the award is open to all categories of print and broadcast journalism covering public interest issues and promoting transparency in the public and private sectors as well as in the media.
Established in 2002, the award recognises and promotes investigative journalism in the region and aims to encourage work that sheds light on public interest issues while helping to explain complex matters that affect all citizens, including public spending on social programmes.
Winners will be awarded a first prize of US $15.000,, a second prize of US $10.000 and US $5.000 as a third prize. The jury will also make special mentions for exceptional work submitted. The authors of the best investigative stories on public expenditures will also be invited to the 2010 Latin American Conference on Investigative Journalism (COLPIN 2010).
- In order to be eligible, stories must have been published or broadcasted between 1 January and 31 December 2009. The application deadline for print media, radio, television or electronic media work is 15 April 2010. Winners will be announced during the 2010 Latin American Conference on Investigative Journalism (COLPIN 2010) to be held in Buenos Aires, in September.
- The terms and conditions are available at http://www.ipys.org/bases_del_premio_2009_2010.pdf
- Journalists or others interested in submitting work can register at www.ipys.org/inscri_premio.shtml
- The award is sponsored by the Open Society Institute and the Ford Foundation. The jury includes Marcelo Beraba (O Estado de S. Paulo), Gustavo Gorriti (Caretas, Peru), Tina Rosenberg (The New York Times, USA), Giannina Segnini (La Nación, Costa Rica), and Gerardo Reyes (El Nuevo Herald, USA).
- For more information about the award, please visit: www.ipys.org/inscri_premio.shtml
- For queries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Winners of the 2008-2009 edition: http://www.ipys.org/premio12.html
For any press enquiries please contact
Phone: +49 30 34382033
Phone: +51 1 2473308