TI Defence & Security - Head of Global Delivery
Application Closing Date - 30 Jun 2019
Job Start Date - As soon as possible
Duration - Permanent
Pay Scale - £45,400 - £50,000
Location - London, UK (with overseas travel)
Corruption undermines government legitimacy, weakens the business climate, stalls economic and human development, and increases fragility and instability. The defence and security sector is fertile ground for corruption as it often accounts for large portions of national budgets, is highly technical, and has only a relatively small number of providers bidding for large contracts. It is therefore often deeply politicised and relies on data that is rarely open for public scrutiny and oversight.
Transparency International’s global Defence and Security (TI-DS) vision is of a world with open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. The defence industry supporting these institutions should provide capability based on clear national defence strategies in a fair and open market. They should be held to account through effective and independent oversight mechanisms rooted in functioning civil societies and efficient government procurement. We believe that peace and stability will only be secured when people are able to realise their ambitions under accountable institutions, and when citizens’ interests drive national policies and the decisions of their leaders. Our two flagship indices – the Government Defence Anti-Corruption Index and Defence Companies Index are respected around the world as key indicators for corruption in both military institutions as well as industry.
Following a restructuring exercise, we are now recruiting key positions to bolster a new and expanded management team to help further develop TI-DS’s work. The Head of Global Delivery is one of three new senior management roles and presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced and ambitious candidate to help influence, expand and accelerate the work of Transparency International’s renowned global Defence and Security initiative.
ROLE PROFILE AND PURPOSE
The Head of Global Delivery leads TI-DS’s overseas activities, directly managing a team of 8, currently covering 3 regions and 6 countries (Ukraine, Lebanon, Tunisia, Nigeria, Ghana and Mali). Working closely with national TI Chapters, s/he will manage delivery of high impact regional and country-level defence and security sector focused anti-corruption work.
In particular, the Head of Global Delivery will oversee the development of country and regional plans to ensure they have clear feasible objectives, budgets and deliverables that are in line with TI-DS’s overall strategy, advocacy goals and research agenda, as well as meeting donor specifications.
KEY DUTIES AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
The ideal candidate will lead 4 programme managers and have significant programme management experience themselves, ideally with experience in one or more of the countries/regions where TI-DS currently operates. S/he will understand how to translate TI-DS aims and strategies into country-level and regional plans and then build relationships in partnership with TI national Chapters in order to deliver them. As TI-DS has established a matrix structure, the Head of Global Delivery will also provide leadership and guidance to the wider team offering regional expertise and input across all areas of our work
The TI-DS regional and country programmes are donor funded, so the Head of Global Delivery oversees all monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) for TI-DS. S/he will be confident working with log-frames, will manage their team to produce timely reports and ensure continuous learning is embedded in how TI-DS works. S/he may sometimes be required to present reports or other work and will represent TI-DS at relevant meetings or in the media alongside TI Chapters in location.
The Head of Global Delivery is also the security focal point for TI-DS. S/he is the first point of contact for all security related incidents or crisis and is responsible for ensuring that appropriate procedures are developed, followed and regularly reviewed
- Educated to at least degree level in a relevant field
- Substantial experience in a leadership role in a diverse and international work environment most likely within an INGO
- Demonstrated previous experience in a programme management leadership role (including related budgetary and financial aspects)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven capacity to influence external stakeholders
- Previous MEL management experience
- Fluent in English with good communications and reporting skills
- Experience in fundraising or writing fundraising proposals
- Willingness and ability to travel overseas (including to medium security risk countries)
- Demonstrated high levels of energy and drive and the ability to lead with enthusiasm
- A commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy
- Knowledge or experience within defence and security, governance or anti-corruption sectors
- Formal project/programme management training or qualification
- Work experience in fragile states and or with civil society organisations
- Experience leading a team within a matrix management structure
- French or Arabic language skills
- An exciting role leading a team in a high-profile internationally focused environment
- Flexible open and supportive workplace
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
- Competitive package including 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), season ticket loan and up-to 5% contributory pension
- 35 hours per week, open to flexible working
Applicants should send the following two items (preferably in pdf format) with your name and the role in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are applying (1 page max)
2) CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Closing date: midnight Sunday 30th June 2019
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. Only applications with both a CV and cover letter will be considered.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.
The international fight against corruption needs your expertise, your skills and experience, and your passion for social justice.
From our secretariat in Berlin and in more than 100 national chapters, Transparency International seeks professionals and volunteers with exceptional talent and commitment to join our efforts and make a contribution to a better world.
Important documents and information
- Gender and diversity policy
- Relocation allowance policy
- Grades and salary bands
- Purchase and procurement summary guidelines
- VAT form for tenders
- Code of Conduct: 4.3.2. Staff Recruitment / Non-preferential Treatment of Family and Friends
"Appointments to all positions will be made on merit, regardless of gender; region; religion; disability; family status; sexual orientation, etc. We are committed to open, fair, and transparent appointment, recruitment, hiring, and procurement procedures and practice. Family members, and friends and organisations with which we or our families or friends are associated, will not be accorded preferential treatment. […] To manage potential conflicts of interest, we will disclose such connections with potential applicants or candidates of whom we are aware. We will recuse ourselves from any recruitment or contracting process where we have a conflict of interest. We will ask shortlisted candidates to declare such relations at Transparency International Secretariat or with the Board of Directors. We will not allow situations in which close family relatives or partners are in a direct reporting relationship to one another."