Free Obasanjo Campaign
At the Conference on Good Governance in Africa: Empowering Civil Society in the Fight against Corruption, held on 21 - 25 April 1996, TI decided to support an initiative of the African Leadership Forum for the unconditional release of Obasanjo.
Issued by Transparency International Secretariat
It is aimed at getting 500.000 letters sent to the Head of the UN Security Council in order to step up pressure on the Nigerian Military Regime to release the General. The letters should be sent personally along the following lines:
- The letter should be sent to H.E. the President of the UN Security Council in New York. (Address: UN Plaza, New York, N.Y.10017, USA)
- Olusegun Obasanjo is a peace loving man and Africa's leading statesman and democrat.
- Olusegun Obasanjo's contribution to world peace especially conflict prevention in Africa is invaluable and the entire world needs him.
- His commitment to championing the cause of eradication of corruption world wide places a special responsibility and therefore the worlds needs him.
- He is a beacon of light to all democrats and the African continent needs rolemodels such as him.
- Olusegun Obasanjo's imprisonment is unjust and he was never given a far trial and was tried in secret and was denied his rights as he was presumed guilty before his trial.
- On the basis of this the UN Security Council should prevail on General Abacha and his military junta to release Olusegun Obasanjo and others from unjust imprisonment.
Please send a copy of your letter to:
African Leadership Forum
28 Solapost Sakumono
Fax: 223-27-55-80-78 or 223-21-77-31-11
D-10585 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49-30-343 820-0 Fax: +49-30-343 820 44
For any press enquiries please contact