Role Purpose: Support in the implementation of regional projects, in particular the Sharaka Project.
Team: Regional Projects
Reporting Line: Head of Regional Projects
Job Level: Associate
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited until December 2020. There is a prospect of extension subject to organizational need continuing, performance proven and funding confirmed.
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin, Germany
Job ID: TIS-RPT-PA-2020
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking a Project Associate to join the Regional Projects Team. The Project Associate will support the coordination of mainly the project “EMPOWERING CIVIL SOCIETY AND CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT FOR TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY” in the final phases of its implementation.
The project is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) and started in September 2018. It will be implemented in Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon and Jordan until December 2020. The project aims to enable civil society’s participation in state budget preparation, implementation and monitoring of public funds.
Through the work of the four implementing chapters, the TI Secretariat and the support of TI Palestine, the project promotes legislative and policy reforms in budget transparency, procurement, access to information, and whistleblower protection, and strengthens citizens’ engagement, encouraging the use of accountability mechanisms, and empowering them to report on cases of corruption in the public and private sectors.
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Regional Projects Team, the Project Associate will:
- Support the coordination of work and information flow between the project/s and other internal teams (e.g. Governance and Legal, Communications, Finance, Human Resources), ensuring process integrity
- Proactively support day-to-day project implementation and ensure consistency with TI-S processes and procedures
- Support the Finance team in verifying that all supporting documentation and workbook are complete and in good order
- Carry out desk research on specific topics to provide input supporting the development of new proposals, concept notes, briefing notes, reports, etc. (in particular on the two regional reports scheduled for 2020; Access to Information report, now finalized, and Budget Transparency, currently in progress)
- Support the coordination of the work around the final project evaluation and the firm carrying it out (currently at the selection stage)
- Support in the organization of events/meetings (e.g. Annual Membership Meeting, project meetings) and related logistics; contribute to appropriate information management including preparing documentation before and after events
- Contribute to the writing, or on occasions write narrative/accountability reports and provide input into publications, communications materials, web content, etc.
- Support information management, including maintaining up to date, organized and accurate filing systems
- Respond to requests for information, researching in order to provide sufficient responses or escalating where needed
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- University degree in social sciences, administration, journalism, economics, management, or another relevant field
- 2+ years of relevant experience - preferably with an International NGO or International Organisation - working on administrative support, project management or related
- Experience with donor funded projects in the civil society field an advantage
- Familiarity with donor rules and regulations (in particular German MFA) a strong advantage
- Good understanding of budget/financial management processes (working in collaboration with Project Accountants)
- Experience in organizing events with diverse international partners required
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Professional language proficiency in English; additional languages – in particular Arabic and/or French – an asset
- Strong IT literacy, in particular MS Excel
- Demonstrated interest in good governance and corruption related issues and advocacy
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- an inspiring, stimulating, dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities and Getting Things Done (GTD) approach to work
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual team training allowances to onsite professional development opportunities, including regular Show & Tell meetings, Jours Fixes/Flexes and brown bag lunches with visiting experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- organizational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer & winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit, preferably via email, a cover letter (mentioning the source of the application) and CV in English (in one pdf-file) to: ProjectAssociateJob@transparency.org
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 12 July 2020. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and that due to the high volume of applications it is unfortunately not possible to provide individualized feedback.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To learn more about Transparency International please visit our website and follow us on social media:
- Download 'Project Associate m f d External Job Advertisement June 2020' [PDF]
- Download 'Purchase and procurement guidelines' [PDF]
- Download 'Code of Conduct 4 3 2 Staff Recruitment Non preferential Treatment of Family and Friends' [PDF]
- Download 'VAT form for tenders' [DOCX]
- Download 'Gender and diversity policy' [PDF]
- Download 'Relocation Allowance policy' [PDF]