Application Closing Date: 28 July 2020
Duration: Framework agreement from August 2021 to August 2023
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) in Berlin is seeking experienced copywriters/editors/proofreaders of English to create and finalise content for print and online publication.
Working on an ad-hoc basis, copywriters/editors/proofreaders ensure that Transparency International’s content meets the following criteria:
- Writing is fluent, engaging and grammatically flawless.
- Writing complies in full with Transparency International house style.
- Texts use consistent and appropriate terminology throughout, and tone is correctly tailored to the audience.
- Information and data within documents have been cross-checked to ensure accuracy and consistency.
Documents are formatted according to Transparency International house style.
EXPECTED DELIVERABLES AND TIMELINE
Consultants will work on projects on an ad-hoc basis, and specific deliverables will vary according to the project/profile of the consultant. However, tasks would typically include:
- Proofreading texts to ensure fluency and accuracy of expression, accuracy and consistency of information and data, and compliance with house style.
- Editing texts to ensure the above.
- Formatting documents in Microsoft Word according to house style.
- Rapid turnaround proofreading of Anti-Corruption Helpdesk answers.
The Transparency International Secretariat retains the sole rights with respect to all distribution, dissemination and publication of the deliverables.
Candidates should have the following experience/qualifications:
- A higher-level degree in communications, literature or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Fluent oral and written English communication skills and a meticulous eye for detail.
- At least 3 years of professional experience drafting and editing text for external audiences, including experience of writing/editing according to house style.
- Experience working to deadline, with the ability to react quickly to short project turnaround times.
- Ability to guarantee complete confidentiality.
In addition, the following knowledge/skills are highly desirable.
- Experience in communicating the work of non-profit organisations to the public, in particular those working in the fields of corruption and good governance.
- Experience in Microsoft Word formatting.
REMUNERATION AND COSTS
Candidates should provide standard rates in euro as gross inclusive of taxes and other charges for each of the following tasks:
- Drafting original copy according to brief.
- Substantive editing of written texts.
- Proofreading/line editing.
- Formatting word documents according to house style.
Please note that remuneration will be limited to these standard rates. No additional payment will be given for other costs incurred (for example travel, accommodation, materials).
Candidates who are based in Germany and do not charge German VAT must confirm their small entrepreneur status.
Transparency International e.V. (Secretariat), (TI-S) is registered as a Business Entity in Germany with VAT identification number DE273612486.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to assess the quality of your application, we have set a short assignment that should not take you longer than one hour to complete. Please find the link to download the assignment (a Microsoft Word file) at the bottom of this page. Please follow the instructions carefully, use track changes and send us the completed text in Microsoft Word format along with the rest of your application package.
In addition to the completed assignment, your application package should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Contact details of referees.
- One sample of published writing.
- List of standard remuneration rates
Please indicate “Copywriter/Editor English” in the subject line of your email application. Applications should be sent in English by email to Matthew Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business of 28 July 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures, and backgrounds.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis, and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
When you respond to this tender and submit your application, you provide consent that Transparency International e. V. keeps your application materials for the period of ten years according to German legal requirements. Afterwards Transparency International will delete your application and any personal data included in it. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com