Land and Corruption in Africa Program – Research and Data Consultant
Application Closing Date - 02 Apr 2017
Job Start Date - April 2017 to July 2017
Duration - 3 months
Location - Remote
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) in Berlin is seeking a consultant to check, organize, and analyse large sets of data and information generated by its Land and Corruption in Africa Programme, and to review, complement and finalise the programme baseline. The data and information is already generated through desk-based as well as empirical research (quantitative and qualitative). The aim of the consultancy is to design a data base and information management system that can be easily operated, maintained, updated, and enlarged over the programme lifetime, and that allows for easy processing, entry, analysis and comparison of data and information from different data sources across countries and years. At the moment, data and information is generated in ten different countries in Africa.
- Review, update, complement, and finalise the programme baseline analysis;
- Design and develop a fully functional Land Program data base and information management system;
- Develop a guidance note on the use of the data base and management information system;
- Develop a guidance note on turning qualitative information coming from the program research into comparable data.
Expected Deliverables and Timeline
- Development of clear understanding and steps of the work to be completed, documented in an outline and structured work plan by end of April 2017;
- Then fortnightly progress reports (presentation of work developed so far) for feedback from TI-S;
- Draft Programme baseline analysis finalised for feedback by end of May 2017,
- Draft Data base and information management system finalised for feedback by end of June 2017.
- Submission and presentation of final products by mid-July 2017.
All presentations and reports are to be submitted in English, in electronic form, in accordance with the deadlines stipulated above. The Consultant is responsible for editing and quality control of language. The TI Secretariat retains the sole rights with respect to all distribution, dissemination and publication of the deliverables.
The Consultant should have the following qualifications:
- Significant experience in research (desk-based, empirical: quantitative and qualitative) and data management, processing and analysis;
- A proven record of processing data from qualitative research;
- Excellent knowledge of SPSS;
- Excellent knowledge of visualizing data and findings;
- Experience in governance-related (ideally, anti-corruption) work;
- Fluency in English;
- Very good working knowledge of French.
Renumeration and Costs
The Consultant should provide a detailed breakdown, before any VAT or other charges, of all their estimated costs, including but not limited to: total fee as a lump sum or standard daily or hourly rates, (if applicable) international travel, local transport, accommodation, work materials.
The maximum budget available to the consultant, including VAT, is 19,000 Euros.
Transparency International e.V. (Secretariat), (TI-S) is registered as a Business Entity in Germany with VAT identification number DE273612486. In order to determine the Value Added Tax (VAT) implications of this tender, we kindly request that the Consultant fill out the VAT Form for Tenders/Vendor Form (instructions inside the form) and submit the completed and duly signed form along with their email application.
The VAT Form for Tenders/Vendor Form is available below.
The application should include the following documents in English:
- Motivation letter, including a brief outline of the suggested approach to this consultancy
- Suggested budget and work plan
- One sample of relevant previous work (confidentiality guaranteed)
- Completed VAT Form for Tenders / Vendor Form
Please indicate “Land Program Data Consultant” in the subject line of your email application. Applications should be sent in English by email to Annette Jaitner at email@example.com by close of business of 02 April 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The international fight against corruption needs your expertise, your skills and experience, and your passion for social justice.
From our secretariat in Berlin and in more than 100 national chapters, Transparency International seeks professionals and volunteers with exceptional talent and commitment to join our efforts and make a contribution to a better world.
Browse available positions and tenders in the menu at left.
Important documents and information
- Recruitment policy and procedures
- Gender and diversity policy
- Relocation allowance policy
- Purchase and procurement summary guidelines
- VAT form for tenders
- Code of Conduct: 4.3.2. Staff Recruitment / Non-preferential Treatment of Family and Friends
"Appointments to all positions will be made on merit, regardless of gender; region; religion; disability; family status; sexual orientation, etc. We are committed to open, fair, and transparent appointment, recruitment, hiring, and procurement procedures and practice. Family members, and friends and organisations with which we or our families or friends are associated, will not be accorded preferential treatment. […] To manage potential conflicts of interest, we will disclose such connections with potential applicants or candidates of whom we are aware. We will recuse ourselves from any recruitment or contracting process where we have a conflict of interest. We will ask shortlisted candidates to declare such relations at Transparency International Secretariat or with the Board of Directors. We will not allow situations in which close family relatives or partners are in a direct reporting relationship to one another."