Call for proposals: Editors/ProofreadersApplication Closing Date - 31 Jan 2014
Job Start Date - As soon as possible
Duration - Undefined
Location - Remote
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 90 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, Transparency International raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) in Berlin is seeking experienced freelance editors/ proofreaders to draft and finalise content for print and online publication.
Working on an ad-hoc basis, editors ensure that Transparency International’s publications meet the following criteria:
- Writing is fluent, engaging and grammatically flawless.
- Writing complies in full with Transparency International house style.
- Texts use consistent and appropriate terminology throughout, and tone is correctly tailored to the audience.
- Information and data within document have been cross-checked to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Documents are formatted according to Transparency International house style.
3. Tasks and deliverables
Editors will work on projects on an ad-hoc basis, and specific deliverables will vary according to the project/profile of the consultant. However, tasks would typically include:
- Proofreading texts to ensure fluency and accuracy of expression, and compliance with house style.
- Drafting texts according to brief for inclusion in Transparency International publications.
- Formatting documents in Microsoft Word according to house style.
The Transparency International Secretariat retains the sole rights with respect to all distribution, dissemination and publication of the deliverables.
4. Selection criteria
Candidates should have the following experience/qualifications:
- A higher level degree in communications, literature or related field.
- Fluent oral and written English communication skills (native level) and a meticulous eye for detail.
- At least 2 years of professional experience drafting and editing text for external audiences, including experience of writing/editing according to house style.
- Experience working to deadline, with the ability to react quickly to short project turnaround times.
In addition, the following knowledge/skills are highly desirable.
- Experience in communicating the work of non-profit organisations to the public, in particular those working in the fields of corruption and good governance.
- Experience in Microsoft Word formatting.
- Knowledge of other languages (in particular French/Spanish).
5. Remuneration and costs
Candidates should provide standard rates in euro, before any VAT or other charges, for each of the following tasks:
- Drafting original copy according to brief.
- Substantive editing of written texts.
- Proofreading/line editing.
- Formatting word documents according to house style.
Please note that remuneration will be limited to these standard rates. No additional payment will be given for other costs incurred (for example travel, accommodation, materials).
Transparency International e.V. (Secretariat), (TI-S) is registered as a Business Entity in Germany with VAT identification number DE273612486. In order to determine the Value Added Tax (VAT) implications of this tender, we kindly request that candidates complete and submit our VAT form along with their email application.
6. How to apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact details of Referees
- One sample of published writing
- List of standard remuneration rates and completed VAT form (see above)
Please indicate “Editor/Proofreader” in the subject line of your email application. Applications should be sent in English by close of business of 31 January 2014.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.