Corruption Perceptions Index 2007

CPI 2007 map

Despite some gains, corruption remains an enormous drain on resources sorely needed for education, health and infrastructure."

– Huguette Labelle, Chair of Transparency International (see full statement)

The 2007 Corruption Perceptions Index looks at perceptions of public sector corruption in 180 countries and territories, and is a composite index that draws on 14 expert opinion surveys. It scores countries on a scale from zero to ten, with zero indicating high levels of perceived corruption and ten indicating low levels of perceived corruption.

A strong correlation between corruption and poverty continues to be evident. Forty percent of those scoring below three, indicating that corruption is perceived as rampant, are classified by the World Bank as low income countries. Somalia and Myanmar share the lowest score of 1.4, while Denmark has edged up to share the top score of 9.4 with perennial high-flyers Finland and New Zealand.

Corruption Perceptions Index 2007: Results

Click here to download the 2007 results map

Rank Country/Territory CPI 2007 Score Surveys Used Confidence Range
1 Denmark 9.4 6 9.2 - 9.6
1 Finland 9.4 6 9.2 - 9.6
1 New Zealand 9.4 6 9.2 - 9.6
4 Singapore 9.3 9 9.0 - 9.5
4 Sweden 9.3 6 9.1 - 9.4
6 Iceland 9.2 6 8.3 - 9.6
7 Netherlands 9.0 6 8.8 - 9.2
7 Switzerland 9.0 6 8.8 - 9.2
9 Canada 8.7 6 8.3 - 9.1
9 Norway 8.7 6 8.0 - 9.2
11 Australia 8.6 8 8.1 - 9.0
12 Luxembourg 8.4 5 7.7 - 8.7
12 United Kingdom 8.4 6 7.9 - 8.9
14 Hong Kong 8.3 8 7.6 - 8.8
15 Austria 8.1 6 7.5 - 8.7
16 Germany 7.8 6 7.3 - 8.4
17 Ireland 7.5 6 7.3 - 7.7
17 Japan 7.5 8 7.1 - 8.0
19 France 7.3 6 6.9 - 7.8
20 USA 7.2 8 6.5 - 7.6
21 Belgium 7.1 6 7.1 - 7.1
22 Chile 7.0 7 6.5 - 7.4
23 Barbados 6.9 4 6.6 - 7.1
24 Saint Lucia 6.8 3 6.1 - 7.1
25 Spain 6.7 6 6.2 - 7.0
25 Uruguay 6.7 5 6.4 - 7.0
27 Slovenia 6.6 8 6.1 - 6.9
28 Estonia 6.5 8 6.0 -7.0
28 Portugal 6.5 6 5.8 - 7.2
30 Israel 6.1 6 5.6 - 6.7
30 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 6.1 3 4.0 - 7.1
32 Qatar 6.0 4 5.4 - 6.4
33 Malta 5.8 4 5.3 - 6.2
34 Macau 5.7 4 4.7 - 6.4
34 Taiwan 5.7 9 5.4 - 6.1
34 United Arab Emirates 5.7 5 4.8 - 6.5
37 Dominica 5.6 3 4.0 - 6.1
38 Botswana 5.4 7 4.8 - 6.1
39 Cyprus 5.3 3 5.1 - 5.5
39 Hungary 5.3 8 4.9 - 5.5
41 Czech Republik 5.2 8 4.9 - 5.8
41 Italy 5.2 6 4.7 - 5.7
43 Malaysia 5.1 9 4.5 - 5.7
43 South Africa 5.1 9 4.9 - 5.5
43 South Korea 5.1 9 4.7 - 5.5
46 Bahrain 5.0 5 4.2 - 5.7
46 Bhutan 5.0 5 4.1 - 5.7
46 Costa Rica 5.0 5 4.7 - 5.3
49 Cape Verde 4.9 3 3.4 - 5.5
49 Slovakia 4.9 8 4.5 - 5.2
51 Latvia 4.8 6 4.4 - 5.1
51 Lithuania 4.8 7 4.4 - 5.3
53 Jordan 4.7 7 3.8 - 5.6
53 Mauritius 4.7 6 4.1 - 5.7
53 Oman 4.7 4 3.9 - 5.3
56 Greece 4.6 6 4.3 - 5.0
57 Namibia 4.5 7 3.9 - 5.2
57 Samoa 4.5 3 3.4 - 5.5
57 Seychelles 4.5 4 2.9 - 5.7
60 Kuweit 4.3 5 3.3 - 5.1
61 Cuba 4.2 4 3.5 - 4.7
61 Poland 4.2 8 3.6 - 4.9
61 Tunisia 4.2 6 3.4 - 4.8
64 Bulgaria 4.1 8 3.6 - 4.8
64 Croatia 4.1 8 3.6 - 4.5
64 Turkey 4.1 7 3.8 - 4.5
67 El Salvador 4.0 5 3.2 - 4.6
68 Colombia 3.8 7 3.4 - 4.3
69 Ghana 3.7 7 3.5 - 3.9
69 Romania 3.7 8 3.4 - 4.1
71 Senegal 3.6 7 3.2 - 4.2
72 Brazil 3.5 7 3.2 - 4.0
72 China 3.5 9 3.0 - 4.2
72 India 3.5 10 3.3 - 3.7
72 Mexico 3.5 7 3.3 - 3.8
72 Morocco 3.5 7 3.0 - 4.2
72 Peru 3.5 5 3.4 - 3.7
72 Suriname 3.5 4 3.0 - 3.9
79 Georgia 3.4 6 2.9 - 4.3
79 Grenada 3.4 3 2.0 - 4.1
79 Saudi Arabia 3.4 4 2.7 - 3.9
79 Serbia 3.4 6 3.0 - 4.0
79 Trinidad and Tobago 3.4 4 2.7 - 3.9
84 Bosnia and Herzegovina 3.3 7 2.9 - 3.7
84 Gabon 3.3 5 3.0 - 3.5
84 Jamaica 3.3 5 3.1 - 3.4
84 Kiribati 3.3 3 2.4 - 3.9
84 Lesotho 3.3 6 3.1 - 3.5
84 FYR Macedonia 3.3 6 2.9 - 3.8
84 Maldives 3.3 4 2.3 - 4.3
84 Montenegro 3.3 4 2.4 - 4.0
84 Swaziland 3.3 5 2.6 - 4.2
84 Thailand 3.3 9 2.9 - 3.7
94 Madagascar 3.2 7 2.5 - 3.9
94 Panama 3.2 5 2.8 - 3.4
94 Sri Lanka 3.2 7 2.9 - 3.5
94 Tanzania 3.2 8 2.9 - 3.4
98 Vanuatu 3.1 3 2.4 - 3.7
99 Algeria 3.0 6 2.7 - 3.2
99 Armenia 3.0 7 2.8 - 3.2
99 Belize 3.0 3 2.0 - 3.7
99 Dominican Republic 3.0 5 2.8 - 3.3
99 Lebanon 3.0 4 2.2 - 3.6
99 Mongolia 3.0 6 2.6 - 3.3
105 Albania 2.9 6 2.6 - 3.1
105 Argentina 2.9 7 2.6 - 3.2
105 Bolivia 2.9 6 2.7 - 3.2
105 Burkina Faso 2.9 7 2.6 - 3.4
105 Djibouti 2.9 3 2.2 - 3.4
105 Egypt 2.9 7 2.6 - 3.3
111 Eritrea 2.8 5 2.1 - 3.5
111 Guatemala 2.8 5 2.4 - 3.2
111 Moldovaa 2.8 7 2.5 - 3.3
111 Mozambique 2.8 8 2.5 - 3.1
111 Rwanda 2.8 5 2.3 - 3.3
111 Solomon Islands 2.8 3 2.4 - 3.1
111 Uganda 2.8 8 2.5 - 3.0
118 Benin 2.7 7 2.3 - 3.2
118 Malawi 2.7 8 2.4 - 3.0
118 Mali 2.7 8 2.4 - 3.0
118 Sao Tome and Principe 2.7 3 2.4 - 3.0
118 Ukraine 2.7 7 2.4 - 3.0
123 Comoros 2.6 3 2.2 - 3.0
123 Guyana 2.6 4 2.3 - 2.7
123 Mauritania 2.6 6 2.0 - 3.3
123 Nicaragua 2.6 6 2.3 - 2.7
123 Niger 2.6 7 2.3 - 2.9
123 Timor-Leste 2.6 3 2.5 - 2.6
123 Viet Nam 2.6 9 2.4 - 2.9
123 Zambia 2.6 8 2.3 - 2.9
131 Burundi 2.5 7 2.0 - 3.0
131 Honduras 2.5 6 2.3 - 2.6
131 Iran 2.5 4 2.0 - 3.0
131 Libya 2.5 4 2.1 - 2.6
131 Nepal 2.5 7 2.3 - 2.7
131 Philippines 2.5 9 2.3 - 2.7
131 Yemen 2.5 5 2.1 - 3.0
138 Cameroon 2.4 8 2.1 - 2.7
138 Ethiopia 2.4 8 2.1 - 2.7
138 Pakistan 2.4 7 2.0 - 2.8
138 Paraguay 2.4 5 2.1 - 2.6
138 Syria 2.4 4 1.7 - 2.9
143 Gambia 2.3 6 2.0 - 2.6
143 Indonesia 2.3 11 2.1 - 2.4
143 Russia 2.3 8 2.1 - 2.6
143 Togo 2.3 5 1.9 - 2.8
147 Angola 2.2 7 1.8 - 2.4
147 Guinea-Bissau 2.2 3 2.0 - 2.3
147 Nigeria 2.2 8 2.0 - 2.4
150 Azerbaijan 2.1 8 1.9 - 2.3
150 Belarus 2.1 5 1.7 - 2.6
150 Congo, Republic 2.1 6 2.0 - 2.2
150 Cote d'Ivoire 2.1 6 1.7 - 2.6
150 Ecuador 2.1 5 2.0 - 2.3
150 Kazakhstan 2.1 6 1.7 - 2.5
150 Kenya 2.1 8 1.9 - 2.3
150 Kyrgyzstan 2.1 7 2.0 - 2.2
150 Liberia 2.1 4 1.8 - 2.4
150 Sierra Leone 2.1 5 2.0 - 2.2
150 Tajikistan 2.1 8 1.9 - 2.3
150 Zimbabwe 2.1 8 1.8 - 2.4
162 Bangladesh 2.0 7 1.8 - 2.3
162 Cambodia 2.0 7 1.8 - 2.1
162 Central African Republic 2.0 5 1.8 - 2.3
162 Papua New Guinea 2.0 6 1.7 - 2.3
162 Turkmenistan 2.0 5 1.8 - 2.3
162 Venezuela 2.0 7 1.9 - 2.1
168 Congo, Democratic Republic 1.9 6 1.8 - 2.1
168 Equatorial Guinea 1.9 4 1.7 - 2.0
168 Guinea 1.9 6 1.4 - 2.6
168 Laos 1.9 6 1.7 - 2.2
172 Afghanistan 1.8 4 1.4 - 2.0
172 Chad 1.8 7 1.7 - 1.9
172 Sudan 1.8 6 1.6 - 1.9
175 Tonga 1.7 3 1.5 - 1.8
175 Uzbekistan 1.7 7 1.6 - 1.9
177 Haiti 1.6 4 1.3 - 1.8
178 Iraq 1.5 4 1.3 - 1.7
179 Myanmar 1.4 4 1.1 - 1.7
179 Somalia 1.4 4 1.1 - 1.7

Background information

  • CPI Score relates to perceptions of the degree of corruption as seen by business people and country analysts, and ranges between 10 (highly clean) and 0 (highly corrupt).
  • Confidence range provides a range of possible values of the CPI score. This reflects how a country's score may vary, depending on measurement precision. Nominally, with 5 per cent probability the score is above this range and with another 5 per cent it is below. However, particularly when only few sources are available, an unbiased estimate of the mean coverage probability is lower than the nominal value of 90 per cent.
  • Surveys used refers to the number of surveys that assessed a country's performance. 14 surveys and expert assessments were used and at least 3 were required for a country to be included in the CPI.
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Corruption Perceptions Index 2007
  • View sources by country
  • View sources documentation
  • View short methodology note
  • View long methodology note